Tiger Woods to skip Chevron World Challenge tournament
Tiger Woods will not attend the Chevron World Challenge, the tournament he hosts in Thousand Oaks, Calif., due to injuries he sustained in a one-car collision early Friday morning. Woods, who has yet to speak publicly since the accident, was scheduled to speak with reporters at the event Tuesday.
"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said in a written statement on TigerWoods.com. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."
Woods hosts the Chevron World Challenge and the proceeds from the event benefit his foundation. Woods's scheduled appearance was used heavily to sell tickets. Last year, Woods attended the tournament despite being unable to play following knee surgery. The pre-Christmas tournament attracts a small field of elite golfers, which includes some of Woods's closest friends on Tour.
According to the Chevron World Challenge web site, the tournament will begin offering ticket refunds on Dec. 7, and all 2009 ticket holders will receive a 20 percent discount off tickets to next year's event. The refund policy was announced after Woods said he wasn't going to play this year.
On his Web site, Woods said he will not compete again until next year. If his 2010 playing schedule is the same as this year, Woods won't play in a U.S. tournament until the PGA Tour's Torrey Pines event in San Diego on Jan. 28.