Tiger Woods stands behind ban on anchored putting
Tiger Woods said Wednesday at the Honda Classic that despite the tour's bold stance Sunday against golf's governing bodies, he still thinks the USGA and R&A should ban anchored putting.
"My position hasn't changed," Woods said after his pro-am round at PGA National. "I still think it should be swung, it shouldn't be anchored, and that hasn't changed at all."
Woods later added, "Hopefully we don't have to bifurcate or adapt a local rule."
PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem announced at last week's Match Play Championship that after talking with players, the tour is opposed to the proposed rule.
"We hold the USGA in highest regard as a key part of the game of golf," Finchem said. "We don't attempt to denigrate that position in any way whatsoever. It's just on this issue, we think if they were to move forward they would be making a mistake."
The rule was proposed on Nov. 28, and there is a 90-day comment period, which ends Thursday, before the USGA and R&A decide if they want to move forward with the ban. If adopted, the rule would go into affect in 2016.
Despite being legal for decades, the anchored putting stroke has come under scrutiny after several young players have adopted the stroke with much success. Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson and Ernie Els have all won majors using belly putters, while Adam Scott has become a regular contender in majors since he started anchoring a putter to his chest.
"I understand his position," Woods said of Finchem. "But I still feel that all 14 clubs should be swung. That hasn't changed at all."
(Photo: Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)